If you don’t require the level of care a nursing home provides but home care alone is not sufficient, assisted living may be the answer. It’s designed for anyone who needs assistance with daily tasks such as bathing, dressing, mobility and using the bathroom, with staff on hand to assist 24 hours a day.
Living spaces can be individual rooms or apartments depending on budget. Assisted living offers a home-like setting with mini kitchens to promote independence.
Communal spaces are provided for dining, social and recreational activities. Costs vary according to how much assistance is given.
- Independence – for those reluctant to live in a nursing home but for whom home care is not enough, assisted living can be a good compromise, promoting a feeling of independence but with daily support.
- Access to care – staff are available 24 hours a day and can assist with management of regular medications as well as trips and appointments.
- Lifestyle – living with others can reduce feelings of loneliness. Meals and group activities at regular times can help build a positive sense of routine; shopping and entertainment trips may be offered too.
- Facilities – there’s access to health and exercise classes and equipment.
- Peace of mind – assisted living offers a relatively secure environment.
- Independence – this may be an issue as you no longer control your own space and may have to part with many possessions.
- Access to care – it’s important to look at what services are offered to ensure that needs are properly met.
- Lifestyle – some may not relish the idea of living in a facility that houses lots of other people. With rules on smoking and pets, schedules for meals and other activities, life may become very different.
- Finances – most assisted living facilities charge a monthly rent with fees added for additional services.
How it works at Audley Villages
At Audley Villages, we offer independent retirement living in a beautiful property that you own, set within a luxury Audley village.
With Audley you stay firmly in control, with complete freedom and independence to live the life you choose. You buy and own your own retirement property, in a beautiful and secure environment, and because it is your house, you don’t have to give up the things you love, including your pets. Plus, you have the added luxury of having your gardens and property maintained for you (included in the Monthly Management Fee and Deferred Management Charge). See Audley Villages fees.
The house, cottage or apartment you buy is your home, held as your own asset, so you are able to enjoy the benefits of a continued investment in a property of your own.