According to Age UK, more than 2 million people in England over the age of 75 live alone – with over a million older people admitting they sometimes go for a month without speaking to a friend, neighbour or family member.
Sometimes a change in circumstances can mean that a person finds themselves suddenly alone or needing support at a later stage of life. After a lifetime of independence, that can come as a real shock and it’s often a struggle to adjust to the new situation.
Wherever you live, there are a few practical steps you can take to reduce feelings of withdrawl and insecurity.
2. Never give out personal details over the phone – including date of birth, address or bank details.
3. Avoid telling anyone you don’t know, that you live alone, either over the phone or in person. No one should ask that question.
5. It can be handy to have a cordless landline phone, or a mobile phone, to ensure that you are always reachable by those who love you, and that you can call someone at any moment, should you need to.
8. Use public transport. If you’re still active, then sometimes a bus journey into town can make a nice change to waiting for a lift from a family member, or even a pleasant alternative to driving yourself.
10. Be yourself. Growing older doesn’t necessarily mean losing your independence or having to change your lifestyle.
For family and loved ones, the safety and security of an older relative can be a constant concern, with their wellbeing never far from mind. Older people who have decided to downsize to a one, two or three-bedroom apartment in an Audley Village are assured of retaining their independence, with peace of mind for those who love them. Living in an over 55s retirement village is much more than housing with care, it's about being part of a community of like-minded people.
Community, happiness and feeling a sense of purpose are all qualities that we aspire to in all aspects of life and senior living should be no different. Your retirement should be exceptional.
Audley Villages is a special place to live. To search for Audley retirement properties for sale across the country, use our property finder.