42% of Brits become at-home interior designers
Brits become at-home interior designers with 42% overhauling their homes over the pandemic
New research from Audley Villages has found that:
- Two fifths (42%) of the UK revamped their home in lockdown
- When breaking down the changes they made to their home 57% redecorated up to two rooms, 17% decorated the exterior of their home, 10% completely renovated the inside of their home, 8% built a home office, and 5% did a loft conversion
- Of those who decided to make changes, 38% made the adaptations with the future needs of their family or themselves in mind, 37% did so because spending so much time at home made them want it to be nice, and 34% had more time to make the changes they wanted to and a quarter (26%) said spending so much time at home made them realise they had neglected it in recent years
- 22% had spare cash to make the changes they wanted and 19% realised how much the spaces were reflecting their mood
- The newfound interior designers took steps such as giving their walls a fresh lick of paint (67%), updating curtains, rugs or upholstery (37%), buying new furniture (30%) and changing the lighting (27%)
Jen Bernard, Founder and Managing Director of Bernard Interiors, said:
“Home has taken on a new significance since the first lockdown, and for many, there has been a positive impact on how we view spending time there. This has seen a rise in homeowners creating beautiful spaces for friends and family to enjoy, both inside and outside.
Those who are thinking about their future living needs are creating calm, comfortable and light-filled spaces to promote mental and physical wellbeing.
Flexible living is also now key. As many are spending more time at home, we’re seeing the need for multifunctional spaces to facilitate different activities. The use of glazed partitions and pocket doors are perfect for dividing up spaces and providing that flexibility.”
***Note to press: Case studies available on request. New research and tips on redesigning the home during the pandemic included above.***
For inspiration, read more interior design and property stories from esteemed experts and the team at Audley Villages.