Birthday Q&A with our CEO and MD
Happy Birthday Nick and Paul
Nick Sanderson, CEO of Audley Group (right) and Paul Morgan, MD of Operations (left) share more than just their passion for creating exceptional experiences at Audley Villages. They both share a birthday, and this year it's a milestone for each (we won't divulge their ages though... both 21 again!)
Nick Sanderson, CEO
36 years ago our Chief Executive, Nick Sanderson, founded a company which over time has developed the conventional care home concept into the modern, luxury retirement living we see in Audley Villages today. In fact, Audley Villages were the first of their kind - the UK's very first luxury retirement villages. Nick's inspiration was to see people living better, remaining independent for longer and with the option of care should they ever need it.
Willicombe Park in Royal Tunbridge Wells was the first Audley Village developed. Upon opening in 1999, it won a prestigious Best Retirement Property award as well as conservation awards for the refurbishment of the Victorian mansion at the centre of the scheme.
Nick continues to inspire others within the business to be exceptional at everything they do, keeping the customer at the heart of every decision.
It's traditional to give a gift on a birthday, but we decided to ask Nick a few fun questions instead...
- Nick, what are you most looking forward to about this year ahead? An end to Brexit!
- Did you ask for anything special this year? An end to Brexit.
- Who likes to spoil you on your birthday? My daughter.
- Will you be dining in or dining out for your birthday celebration (At an Audley restaurant of course!)? Yes but too far away from our villages so will have to accept second best.
- Looking back, in your twenties did you ever picture yourself where you are at this stage in your life? No. I wasn't sure I would make it this far.
- Where do you see yourself in another ten years? At risk of upsetting colleagues... still involved in Audley.
- What’s your greatest achievement? Audley.
- Do you have a favourite memory from your many years at Audley so far? There have been so many, but hopefully the best is yet to come.
- Who inspires you? My father.
- If you could have dinner with anyone in the world, who would it be? Barack Obama, just to annoy Donald Trump.
- Who is the fastest runner, you or Paul? Taking an age allowance into account, clearly it's me!
If you had to choose only one of the following…
- Chocolate cake or lemon drizzle? Definitely lemon drizzle! Why, is there some in the kitchen?
- Tea or coffee? Coffee in the morning, tea in the afternoon.
- Faraway holidays or the British seaside? Both.
- Beach holidays or adventure holidays? Beach and a book.
- Sun or snow? (Nick, this is a sore subject after your recent injury on your skiing holiday). Sun - snow is very dangerous. Be careful everyone.
- Champagne or whisky? Whisky.
- Red or white? White. But red if absolutely forced.
- Running or cycling? Both.
- Comedy or action? Comedy.
- Reading fiction or non-fiction? Non-fiction.
- Wallpaper or paint? A decorator if you mean DIY.
- Art or history? History.
Paul Morgan, MD, Operations
At Audley Villages a huge part of what makes every customer's experience so exceptional, is the standard of care, along with the welcoming feel as you arrive at a village, the Audley Club, the outstanding dining experience and of course the people. As Managing Director, Paul's pride in the business and his passion for customer service both inspire and direct his team to make a real difference in the lives of our customers and each other.
Always the joker, Paul kindly answered a few birthday questions...
- Paul, what are you most looking forward to about this year ahead? Aston Villa being promoted!
- Did you ask for anything special this year? A SAGA membership.
- Who likes to spoil you on your birthday? My youngest daughter… The older one is at Uni and I’m certain has forgotten who I am.
- Will you be dining in or dining out for your birthday celebration (At an Audley restaurant of course!)? The Ivy – but I’ll take some business cards, as lots of our customers also love it there.
- Looking back, in your twenties did you ever picture yourself where you are at this stage in your life? In my twenties, 50 was considered old… So, probably pictured myself in a retirement village!.. Hmmm hold on??
- Where do you see yourself in another ten years? Still watching Brexit negotiations on the TV.
- What’s your greatest achievement? Ask me in 2021… it’s just around the corner.
- Do you have a favourite memory from your many years at Audley so far? The camaraderie of our teams every time they come together for a launch, an event, or a need…. It is truly amazing!
- Who inspires you? Nick Sanderson.
- If you could have dinner with anyone in the world, who would it be? David Brent, so he could teach me how to dance.
- Whose the fastest runner, you or Nick? Well, if I give Nick a second per year between us… I think I’d still win by 4 seconds!
If you had to choose only one…
- Chocolate cake or lemon drizzle? Gin & Tonic cake (disguised as Lemon Drizzle).
- Tea or coffee? Fresh Mint Tea… (I know I know).
- Faraway holidays or the British seaside? Cornwall in an angry March storm.
- Beach holidays or adventure holidays? A bit of adventure with a few days beach at the end.
- Sun or snow? Having seen Nick’s injuries over the years – sun!
- Champagne or whisky? Champagne darling!
- Red or white? Both.
- Running or cycling? Running (badly).
- Comedy or action? Action.
- Reading fiction or non-fiction? Reading – what’s that?
- Wallpaper or paint? I’ll Leave the Sanderson wallpaper gag to someone else! So, face paint!
- Art or history? History, every day of last week.
Leading the way
'Actively' involved in everything Audley!
Paul and Nick are not only an inspiration within the business, but also two very down to earth gentlemen who always join in and support their teams. Let it also never be said that neither Nick or Paul shy away from a challenge or a little light-hearted competition... they're usually competing for first place, leading the way on a mini marathon or walking charity fundraiser.
At Audley Group HQ
Now, of course the team at Audley Group HQ in Egham wanted to make a fuss of the occasion, with champagne and a rather fabulous chocolate cake (sorry Paul, it wasn't Gin & Tonic cake!). We all wish you both a very happy birthday and trust you'll enjoy your dinner at The Ivy, Paul. Nick... we sadly think you may be waiting a while for your birthday request.
1 day 9 hours agoNew drone footage of Audley Stanbridge Earls, Romsey. Looks like we have an owner moved in a little ahead of schedu… https://t.co/I2EmxFrcdp
2 days 5 hours agoRT @DeliciousPR: Looking to get out into the countryside this weekend? Then head to Malvern Hills and have lunch at Aldwyn's restaur… https://t.co/p45Bz5qO2i
3 days 7 hours agoRT @DreadnoughtTile: Delighted that Audley Ellerslie Retirement Village is shortlisted in the 2019 @UKRoofingAwards! Our… https://t.co/NICmqlbhKe
3 days 11 hours agoRT @3_Church_Road: Join us for Afternoon Tea this Sunday, we look forward to seeing you 🐣 #EasterWeekend #Birmingham https://t.co/wqJoYqEhgB
4 days 4 hours ago
1 week 2 days ago
1 week 2 days ago
1 week 4 days ago
2 weeks 2 days ago
2 weeks 3 days ago
2 weeks 4 days ago
2 weeks 5 days ago
3 weeks 3 hours ago
3 weeks 2 days agoOur new CGI's for Audley Cooper's Hill with stunning Interiors by the team at Bernard Interiors.… https://t.co/aIeeWjpWnq
3 weeks 3 days agoRT @BristolLifeAwds: Welcome to @audleyvillages who are now a Silver Sponsor of the #BristolLifeAwards! On Awards: "Getting involved i… https://t.co/1EztCbSyAf
3 weeks 4 days agoWe have raised an incredible £15,000 for The Dove Ward at The Great Western Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust. Since t… https://t.co/hobz1x72GP
3 weeks 5 days agoRT @KarenWood_1: Thank you @audleyvillages for inviting us to speak at your coffee morning at Audley Redwood today. If any of your… https://t.co/GV4xatUQZs
4 weeks 7 hours ago
4 weeks 1 day ago
1 month 5 hours ago@traceyjhughes1 Hi Tracey, we absolutely did not mean to cause any offence by our mailings. If you can private mess… https://t.co/wEW3VVogcK
1 month 6 hours agoRT @buckinghampools: The new @norrisshotcrete swimming pool at @audleyvillages Stanbridge Earls site is coming on well 👍🏻🏊🏻♀️… https://t.co/OPjCi9R5sT
1 month 8 hours ago
1 month 5 days agoA very Happy Birthday to our CEO Nick & MD Paul 🎂 https://t.co/h7NWLyNFAp
1 month 6 days agoRead our CEO, Nick Sanderson's comments on the spring statement. #SpringStatement https://t.co/OPPQ5UVVjY
1 month 1 week agoIn honour of #InternationalWomensDay we're sharing with you 3 of our exceptional female owners and their charitable… https://t.co/AJXXretmMR
1 month 1 week ago
1 month 2 weeks agoTop tips for the perfect pancakes from our Group Head Chef, Gert #PancakeDay #ShroveTuesday https://t.co/eeGi3jtPUp
1 month 3 weeks agoRT @GauntFrancis: We are delighted to show you our brand new @audleyvillages Ellerslie #RetirementVillage images. View them now on ou… https://t.co/SgkILMy5on
1 month 3 weeks agoThe team are at Audley Binswood and are ready to go....wish them luck! #GoJo #SmashingthebigC #AudleyGroup https://t.co/X3KeLgxTGe
1 month 4 weeks agoAs it's national #loveyourpetday we thought we'd share Rolo's story with you, read how he changed the life of his o… https://t.co/knZyYglt5d
2 months 9 hours agoRT @Retiremove: Retirees want to have fun! @audleyvillages @InspiredLifeUK @landg_homes @PegasusLife @LifeCareRes @CrestNicholson… https://t.co/VT9vZyqzXa
2 months 10 hours ago@BoxyLynne Hi Lynn, really sorry to hear we couldn't get you booking in on Wednesday! We do work on a first come fi… https://t.co/eq9iyt5l8f
2 months 4 days agoThank you for your continued support. #GoJo #SmashingthebigC #AudleyGroup https://t.co/JMcEUoh7OP https://t.co/JvxhrwJ3Bk
2 months 4 days agoThis year we decided to change the way we celebrate Valentine's Day and instead celebrate the love we have for food… https://t.co/770ynbzEzy
2 months 6 days agoIt’s time the Government stopped postponing publication & gave the sector more clarity. The green paper must provid… https://t.co/D25wQhKbjH
2 months 6 days ago...and yet it desperately needs more recruits. But the campaign mustn’t act in a vacuum – retention of great worker… https://t.co/PHvDMVc3Ha
2 months 6 days agoIn response to the article this morning from the BBC https://t.co/Un6gOykqBK Paul Morgan, Managing Director, Audley… https://t.co/5Kw20TOakm
2 months 1 week agoGreat to see https://t.co/ljwAxXQ3F9
2 months 1 week agoA brilliant review of our newest restaurant, Aldwyn's at Ellerslie by Paul Fulford https://t.co/JGCWoJtc6g